This is one of the dishes we will be eating in the Summer Nourishing Foods Cleanse coming up August 1-5, 2016.
I love beets because they taste great and they’re extremely healthy for you. They are loaded with vitamins A, B and C, also high in fiber, manganese, folate and are a rare source of phytonutrients called betalains, which have been shown to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification qualities. For the best flavor choose small firm beets.
This delicious chickpea-free beet hummus is simple to make, super creamy and 100% paleo and vegan.
- 2 cups beets peeled and cut into chunks (3-4 small beets)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Put the beets in a medium enameled cast-iron pan with a lid.
- Add water to almost cover the beets and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes
- Drain the beets and let sit to cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor, combine the beets with the garlic, coriander, cumin and lemon juice, pulse until finely chopped.
- Add tahini and olive oil process until puree is smooth. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Scrape into a bowl. Refrigerate until chilled about 30 minutes.
- Serve garnished with sesame seeds.