Do you love mashed potatoes? I do, so comforting and satisfying but not so healthy. This Millet Mash is a great allternative, creamy, smooth and rich. Millet is considered to be one of the least allergenic and most digestible grains available. The other major ingredient in this dish, cauliflower is great for cancer prevention. The fiber content of cauliflower – nearly 12 grams in every 100 calories- makes this cruciferous vegetable a great choice for digestive system support. The fiber helps reduce cholesterol and is a major antidote for constipation. This dish is great for your belly. Try it let me know what you think.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, (if you use olive oil) Vegan,
2 Tb organic butter or olive oil if you are vegan
1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
1 large shallot, peeled and diced
1 tsp Italian seasonings
1 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
1 cup millet
3 cups vegetable stock, chicken stock or water
Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil and 1 Tb of the butter in pot, add shallot, sauté until soft.
- Once the shallots are softened, add the millet stir to coat with the oil.
- Add cauliflower, herbs and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce flame, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the grain is cooked.
- Add 1 Tb of butter or olive oil. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Season with sea salt & pepper.
- Serve and Enjoy!
If I am eating this as a main dish I like to mix in 1 ½ cups of organic baby arugula while it is warm to wilt the arugula. This is an easy way to add greens to a meal with no extra work.