Here is a vegan dish that will balance your blood sugar and feed you willpower. You can serve these “burgers” on tomato with Cilantro Hemp Sauce as in the picture. You can also serve them with guacamole or sliced avocado and salsa. A cooked green vegetable or salad is the perfect accompaniment.
Southwestern Black Bean Burgers
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Makes 6 Burgers PRINT RECIPE
½ cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup raw quinoa or 2 ½ cups cooked quinoa
1 ½ cups (cooked) black beans (1-15oz can)
1 Tb tahini
2 Tb fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sundried tomato
2 cloves garlic minced
½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
2 Tb scallions sliced
- Rinse quinoa and place in a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring water/quinoa to boil. Reduce to low simmer and let quinoa cook till water is absorbed, 15 minutes. Turn off heat, fluff quinoa, and let sit, covered, for ten minutes or so..
- Place pumpkin seeds in a food processor and grind to a fine meal.
- Add black beans (either home cooked, or canned) and quinoa and pulse to combine well.
- Add sundried tomato, tahini, lemon juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, and scallions.
- Pulse continually until mixture has all come together. Add water if necessary to thin the mixture into proper “burger” texture. You want it to be quite firm, easy to handle and not too sticky.
- Mold mixture into 6 patties.
- Pan fry in 1 Tb of olive oil on medium low until crispy and golden brown on each side, or bake at 350 for 25 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Serve immediately or reheat when you are ready to eat them.
Cilantro Hemp Sauce
Makes 2 cups PRINT RECIPE
1 cup hemp seeds
4 Tb lemon juice
2 Tb wheat free tamari
1 Tb nutritional yeast
1 Tb shredded coconut
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic chopped
¼ tsp Celtic sea salt
1/8 tsp fresh pepper
½ cup fresh cilantro
- Put all ingredients except the cilantro into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add cilantro and blend just to incorporate. You want to see specks of the greens.
- Use on salads, steamed vegetables or vegan burgers