I love cobbler. It is a healthy fruit dessert. The apples are so sweet this time of year, you only need to add a little maple syrup or honey. This version is made with coconut oil instead of butter. I could hardly taste the difference. Bob’s makes a gluten free flour which is a perfect substitute for whole wheat pastry flour. The pecans supply some protein and fiber to balance out the fruit, so you can enjoy this dessert without your blood sugar spiking.
1 cup pecans coarsely chopped
¾ cup Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour
4 Tb coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 cups apples peeled, cored and sliced
¼ cup maple syrup or other sweetener
1 Tb arrowroot
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Gently melt the coconut oil in a small pan on low and add vanilla.
- In a small bowl, mix pecans with flour.
- Pour the melted coconut oil over the pecan mixture. Set aside
- In the measuring cup mix the maple syrup, cinnamon and arrowroot. Stir with a fork to dissolve so there are no lumps
- Pour the maple mixture over apple.
- Mix so the maple syrup is evenly distributed. Don’t let this sit, the apples will start giving off liquid.
- Put into a 6 cup baking dish.
- Top with pecan mixture.
- Bake on the top half of the oven for 45 minutes or until pecans are lightly brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let cool slightly serve.
This will be good for 2-3 days at room temperature