I created this recipe to use up the zucchini that is abundant in our gardens and CSA shares right now. The sweet muffins are low glycemic, gluten free and dairy free so feel free to enjoy them, they’re healthy! I made them with coconut oil which studies show help our body burn fat and resist viruses. It is one of the ingredients which make these muffins moist. They are sweetened with a little honey and vanilla stevia. The almond flour supplies protein and fiber which will keep your blood sugar in balance. The magnesium in cacao increases your energy and makes you feel joy.
Feed the muffins to your family and friends at breakfast this summer. Have them as a snack with Nettles Peppermint Iced Tea for a refreshing afternoon recharge.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Gluten free, Dairy free, Vegetarian, Paleo
1 ¼ cups blanched almond flour
¼ cup cacao powder
¼ tsp Celtic sea salt
½ tsp baking soda
2 large organic eggs
2 Tb coconut oil, melted
¼ cup honey
¼ tsp vanilla stevia or vanilla extract
¾ cup zucchini, grated
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a food processor combine almond flour and cacao powder
- Add salt and baking soda. Pulse to combine
- Add eggs, coconut oil and honey, stevia. Pulse to get a homogenous mixture.
- Add zucchini. Pulse to incorporate.
- Pour batter to 6 muffin cups* lined with baking paper.
- Top with walnuts.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Test to see if it is done by sticking with a toothpick, it should come out clean.
- Cool and serve.