I created this soup for the Nourishing Foods Winter Cleanse coming up January 11-15, 2016. It is a clean light soup with satisfying savory flavors, perfect for any season. It is a soothing easy to digest soup.
Kale is one of of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. It is high in vitamins and minerals especially Vitamins A, K and C. It is a good, plant-based source of calcium, a nutrient that is very important for bone health and magnesium which most people don’t get enough of. In addition it contains 3 grams of protein in each cup of raw kale.
This recipe contains red skinned potatoes but if you prefer it can be made with sweet potatoes.
Start with a good broth, vegetable or bone. I made it with chicken broth, something I have in my freezer regularly. Every time we roast a chicken we use the bones for broth. Here is my chicken broth recipe.Print
It is a clean light soup with satisfying savory flavors, perfect for any season.
- 1 Tb coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups broth, vegetable, chicken or bone
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½–1 tsp Celtic sea salt to taste, use less if your stock has salt
- 2 red potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 medium carrot, diced into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups lightly packed kale, stems removed and finely chopped
- Fresh pepper
- Chop garlic and onions and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health benefits.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium soup pot.
- Sauté onion and celery over medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add broth, thyme, rosemary, salt and potatoes and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add kale, and cook another 5 minutes until the kale is tender.
- Season with fresh pepper, taste to adjust salt.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan, Paleo, Gluten Free,