Normally I post a recipe on the weekend but I was in NYC with my women’s group. We have a group connected to women all around the world based on the book the Millionth Circle by Jean Shinoda Bolen. The Millionth Circle is a grass-roots, international organization of women who believe that circles are the means through which world consciousness will change. The concept is when a critical number of people change how they think and behave a new era will begin. I think this is happening now on our planet. I love getting together to connect with my friends, it restores my spirit.
Today it is cold here in Long Island even though it is supposed to be spring, so I have a hearty recipe to warm you up. You can cook it today and eat it again over the next few days. It holds up really well.
The heat from the chipotles contrasted with the sweetness from the potatoes and the savory flavor of the lentils make this a dish satisfying warm dish.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 1 cup French lentils or regular green or brown (I like the French ones because they are a little more delicate)
- 6 cups water
- 1–2 dried chipotle chilies
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cup sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1½ inch chunks
- 4 cups spinach coarsely chopped
- Celtic sea salt
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat a large heavy soup pot. Add oil and onion. Sauté on medium low until the onion softens about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring about 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the cumin, carrots and celery. Stir together, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, water, chipotles, tomato paste, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer 30 minutes until the lentils are almost tender.
- Add the sweet potatoes cook 5-10 minutes until potatoes are beginning to get tender.
- Add the spinach stir to wilt the spinach. Remove from the heat.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Remove the chipotle chiles and bay leaf.
- Serve in bowls with lime wedges.
- This dish will keep in the refrigerator for about 4 days. It is a great instant supper with salad.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Healthy, Vegan, Gluten Free, Diary Free