I love to roll things up into little bites. I find it a fun and elegant way to enjoy my food. Roll ups make great appetizers for parties. In this recipe I use zucchini hummus, roasted peppers and raw sauerkraut to make a cucumber roll up. I choose zucchini hummus since I am not eating beans these days but you could use traditional hummus.
You can make these roll ups by creating long, thin slices of cucumber using a vegetable peeler but it is easier if you have a mandoline, one of my favorite kitchen tools. Spread the cucumber with zucchini hummus. Sprinkle the tops with roasted red pepper and sauerkraut. Then, roll them up for a quick and easy appetizer or lunch
Paleo Cucumber Roll Ups
Gluten Free, Vegan, Paleo, Bean Free
4 servings PRINT RECIPE
1 large organic cucumber
6 Tb zucchini hummus (or traditional hummus)
6 Tb roasted red pepper, thinly sliced into 2” strips (sun-dried tomatoes can also be used)
6 Tb raw sauerkraut, squeeze out the liquid, coarsely chopped
- Using a mandoline, cut off one slice of skin, work around the cucumber, making thin slices until you get down to the seeds and stop. Don’t use the inner part of the cucumber it is full of seeds. (save it for your green juice). With each slice, you’ve created one strip for the roll. Alternately you can use a vegetable peeler to shave off long, thin slices of cucumber. You should get around 12 useable slices from your cucumber
- Sprinkle each slice of cucumber with a little grind of fresh pepper.
- Evenly spread about 1½ tsp of hummus on each cucumber slice.
- Top with chopped 1 ½ tsp red pepper and 1½ tsp of sauerkraut.
- Start on one end of the cucumber and roll the cucumber around the filling. Secure with a toothpick.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.