Happy Mother’s Day to all. Since my mother has passed on I spent some time this morning in a meditiative state connecting to her energy, it was a beautiful momonet. I also felt the energy of her mother, my grandmother who was a powerful woman. My grandmother had to leave Russia during the Revolution at the age of 14 all alone. Her family sent her on a boat with jewels sewn into her petticoat for use when she arrived here in America. Wow what an experience that must have been. It is a great day to honor them both. I am not going see my son today as he is in Boulder but I love being a mother the greatest experience of my life.
I wanted something sweet today. The strawberries are abundant in the supermarkets this time of year. The fresh organic strawberries are down to a reasonable price, yeah! I usually buy frozen organic the rest of the year. Yesterday I made a raw vegan strawberry cream pie. It is easy to make but it does take a little bit of planning since you have to soak the cashews.
Today is the day I plant flowers in my garden, since all chance of frost has passed. I love having the flower pots on the porch all season too!
Try out the Strawberry Cream Pie to get some good nutrition. The strawberries are high in Vitamin C and the free-radical fighting compounds called anthocyanins are the true all-star health components of strawberries. They are full of fiber and contain maganese, potassium and folate which are good for your bones and hormones.
As in most of my healthy desserts, there is plenty of fiber, healthy fat from the coconut oil and protein from the nuts. This conbination will prevent you from having a blood sugar spike. This is a rich creamy dessert too!
Raw Vegan Strawberry Cream Pie
¼ cup raw almonds
1 cup raw walnuts
¼ cup shredded coconut
½ cup dates, chopped
- Place almonds, walnuts and coconut in the food processor.
- Process until a coarse meal is achieved.
- Add in the dates. Process until it is sticky.
- Spread into a 9″ pie plate going half way up the side.
- The crust will be sticky so it helps to do this with wet hands.
1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 4 hours or overnight
1/2 cups water
½ cup maple syrup or coconut nectar (lower glycemic level)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups organic strawberries cut in half
1 cup organic mild flavored coconut oil, gently melted on very low heat
- Rinse cashews very well under cold running water.
- Put the cashews in a bowl and add cold water to cover them. Refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Drain the cashews and rinse under cold water. Put them into a blender.
- Add ½ cup water and blend until very smooth. If you are using a regular blender you may have to add the maple syrup to get enough liquid for a smooth consistency. Keep blending and scraping down the sides until you get a nice creamy consistency. It may take awhile.
- Add maple syrup if you haven’t done so yet.
- Add vanilla and strawberries. Blend until just mixed.
- Pour in coconut oil while the blender is running and blend for a few seconds.
- Carefully pour on top of crust. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Top with sliced strawberries once the filling has set enough to hold them on top.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours to firm up the filling.
- Slice and enjoy.
You can use macadamia nuts instead of almonds, it is a nice variation in the flavor. You can also use pecans instead of walnuts.
Whole raw cashews tend to be more moist than the pieces, get those if possible
If you want a lower glycemic dessert, use half the amount of maple syrup or coconut nectar and then stevia to taste.