This is a great recipe with turmeric. Traditionally they don’t put in the spinach but since I love adding greens into my diet as much a possible I added them. You decide which way you like it.
Red Lentil Dhal
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan PRINT RECIPE
1 cup red lentils
1 tsp turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne
4 cups water
2Tb coconut oil
1 lg onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tb chopped fresh ginger
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup spinach torn into medium size pieces
- Rinse lentils in a bowl and drain in a strainer.
- Place into a saucepan with water turmeric and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer cover and simmer 30 minutes
- In the meantime melt butter or oil in a sauté pan. Sauté onions with salt, 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger sauté on medium heat stirring occasionally until onions are very soft about 8 minutes.
- Add spices and sauté 2 minutes.
- Simmer 30 minutes until lentils are soft.
- When the lentils are soft whisk the lentils with a wire whisk to get an even texture.
- Add the onion mixture. Stir to blend.
- Add the spinach, stir until wilted 2 minutes.
- Serve alone or over rice or quinoa.