These are deliciously sweet, chewy almond cookies sandwiched around a layer of bittersweet chocolate.
- 1/4 cup (56 grams) coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/3 cups (133 grams) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons (17 grams) coconut flour
- 1/8 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup (106 grams) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips I like Hu Gems or Enjoy Life Chips
- Melt coconut oil on low heat in a small pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift together the almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda and stir until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut oil, vanilla extract, almond extract, and maple syrup using a fork or whisk.
- Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture. Mix until evenly combined. Use a rubber spatula to get all the batter from the edges of the pan.
- Refrigerate the dough for about 15-30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 18 1″ balls (17 grams each) and place 2″ apart on the baking sheet.
- Flatten the cookies using the bottom of a glass on top of a square of parchment to gently press the cookies into disks 2” wide. (See tip #2 above)
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes or until they are lightly brown.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cool, melt the chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl set over boiling water. (see tip #3 and #4)
- Using a small spoon, spread about a teaspoon of the chocolate on the underside of a cookie, then sandwich with another cookie, placing the undersides back to back.
- If you have melted chocolate left over, swirl it on top of the cookies.
- Once the chocolate has cooled and set, 5-10 minutes depending on the temperature of your room, enjoy your cookies or store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week.
If you want to skip the chocolate filling they make an excellent almond cookie.
The prep time plan includes 15 minutes for the dough to chill.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free
Keywords: almond sandwich cookies, holiday cookies