This dish is a classic Chinese food favorite made with super healthy ingredients. It’s full of vegan protein, B vitamins, fiber and lots of nourishing vegetables.
- 1 (8 oz.) piece tempeh
- 3 tablespoons gluten free tamari or coconut aminos mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 shallots, sliced about 1 cup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup carrots, cut into half moons*
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot mixed with ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Cut the tempeh into 1/2” slices horizontally.
- Mix the tamari, water, 1 tsp ginger and 1 clove garlic together on a plate large enough to hold the sliced tempeh in one layer. Add the tempeh turning to coat both sides. Let marinate while you prepare the vegetables.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or sauté pan. Add 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add tempeh and reserve the marinade. Sauté on medium until brown on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Add marinade and sauté 1 minute more. Remove from the pan, set aside on a plate.
- Once the tempeh has cooled cut the slices in half horizontally.
- If the pan has a lot of brown bits on the bottom wipe it out.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and shallots. Sauté on medium-low until they begin to soften about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, mushrooms and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently until mushrooms start to soften. Add 1-3 tablespoons of water if the pan is dry (it will depend on the amount of water in your mushrooms).
- Add carrots and sauté on medium for 2 minutes until the carrots begin to soften, stir frequently.
- Add broccoli, stir fry for 3-5 minutes until the broccoli is bright green and crisp tender.
- Add cooked tempeh. Stir to combine evenly.
- Add arrowroot mixture. Stir to coat all the vegetables with the arrowroot. Cook until arrowroot becomes translucent, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Season with rice vinegar and sesame oil.
- Mix and serve alone or with cauliflower rice.
To make half moons, slice the carrot in half lengthwise. Take each half and cut horizontal slices on the diagonal to make half-moons.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Asian, Vegan, Gluten Free
Keywords: Tempeh, Stir Fry