An easy to make, incredibly delicious, complete vegan meal made in only one pan.
- One 8-ounce package of tempeh, cut into 24 pieces (1” cubes )
- 2 Tb wheat free tamari
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes(about 3 cups)*
- ½ cup vegetable or bone broth, more if needed
- 1 Tb Dijon mustard
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups kale or Swiss chard, stems removed, chopped
- 2 Tb coconut oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Pour the tamari onto a plate. Add tempeh and turn to coat each piece. Let it sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Peel and cut the butternut squash into cubes. In a saucepan fitted with a steamer, steam for 5-7 minutes until almost tender. If you don’t have a steamer simmer in 1” of water in a covered sauté pan. Remove from steamer and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl mix together the broth and mustard
- Cut up the onions and kale.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and tempeh. Sauté until the onions are soft and the tempeh cubes are golden brown, about 7-8 minutes. Stir frequently and be careful to not burn the onions.
- Add squash, turmeric, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes (if using). Stir to coat tempeh and vegetables with the spices.
- Pour the broth-mustard mixture over the tempeh and vegetables.
- Add half the kale and stir until it wilts. Add the rest of the kale.
- Sauté 2-3 minutes until the kale is tender. Add more broth if necessary to keep the vegetables moist.
- Taste to adjust seasonings. Serve.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan