This is the paleo version of the Moroccan stew filled with fragrant spices and chicken.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
- ½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1–15 ounce can organic pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 pound chicken breasts cut into small cubes, about ½ inch
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup cilantro
- Measure spices and put into a small bowl.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large heavy sauté pan or cast iron pan.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Cook on medium until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and salt. Cook 1 minute more.
- Add spices. Sauté 1 minute until spices are fragrant.
- Add broth, pumpkin, coconut milk and maple syrup.
- Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer on medium low uncovered, about 5 minutes.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken, simmer stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is done, 3-5 minutes.
- Add spinach, stir until wilted, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and season with lemon juice.
- Serve in bowls with cauliflower rice topped with cilantro.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Main Dish Chicken, Paleo, Gluten Free
- Cuisine: Moroccan