This an incredibly tasty recipe made with tofu, a balsamic marinade and roasted red peppers you can make in 20 minutes. It’s a healthy, vegan tofu dish everyone will love.
- 4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup aged balsamic vinegar, high quality
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon. freshly ground black pepper
- 1–14-oz. block organic extra-firm tofu
- 1-16 ounce jar organic roasted red peppers, drained and thinly sliced*
Make the sauce:
- Combine balsamic, tamari, maple syrup, garlic, Dijon, oregano, thyme, black pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil in a glass measuring cup or bowl; stir with a whisk. Set aside.
Pan fry the tofu:
- Cut the tofu into large cubes. First cut in half horizontally, then into quarters widthwise and lengthwise (see photo above). Place on a kitchen towel to gently dry.
- Cook side 1: Place the tofu in 2 tablespoons cold oil. Then bring it up to medium heat. Once it’s simmering, cook 5 to 6 minutes until one side is golden brown and not sticking to the pan.
- Flip the tofu: Use a fork or a spatula. If it’s sticking a lot let it cook a little longer before turning. I usually remove it from the heat to do this.
- Cook side 2: Return to the heat. Cook another 5 to 6 minutes until golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, pour in balsamic marinade, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often until marinade begins to reduce and coat the cubes of tofu.
- Stir in roasted red pepper, remove from heat. Serve.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in a pan or toaster oven.
If you roast your own red peppers, you’ll need 1 cup sliced
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Keywords: balsamic tofu, pan fried tofu, healthy tofu recipe, easy tofu recipe