In this salad crisp romaine is grilled to bring out extra sweetness, along with grilled corn, chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, radicchio and a cilantro avocado dressing. Top with grilled scallops of protein of choice.
For The Grill
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, husked
- 3 hearts romaine lettuce
- 8 scallops (about 1/2 pound)
Avocado Cilantro Dressing
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- ½ cup water (add more if you want it thinner)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
Additional Salad Ingredients:
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped cucumbers
- ½ head radicchio, chopped (about 1 cup)
- Make the Avocado Cilantro Dressing.
- Chop the tomatoes, cucumbers, and radicchio.
Avocado Cilantro Dressing
- Add avocado, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and water to a blender or food processor and blend until creamy.
- If you want a thinner consistency, add more water.
- Add cilantro and pulse/blend to break up the cilantro while still leaving small pieces.
- If possible let it sit a bit in the fridge before eating, the flavors really come together.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge. Keeps for about 5 days.
- Heat the grill on medium high heat.
- Shuck corn, remove husks and silk.
- Rub each ear with a little olive or avocado oil.
- Place on the grill directly over the heat.
- Rotate when dark spots appear and kernels deepen in color (usually about 2 to 3 minutes) until ears are uniformly cooked (about 10 minutes). The ear will be speckled with charred spots. Set aside to cool.
- Wash and dry the romaine, cut in half lengthwise keeping the stem intact, and brush with olive oil and salt.
- Grill the lettuce cut side down directly on medium high for about 3 minutes. Turn to grill the other side, 2 minutes more until lightly charred. Remove to a plate.
- Turn the grill up to high. Brush scallops with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill. Grill scallops for 4 minutes.
- Turn them over and grill for another 2-3 minutes until done. If they are sticking let them grill a little longer until you turn them. Set aside on a plate.
- Cut the stem off the romaine and loosely chop it.
- Cut the corn off the cob.
- Toss all the vegetables together with a bit of dressing.
- Put the salad into 4 bowls, top each with 2 scallops.
- Sprinkle with additional dressing.
Nutrition information includes scallops and Avocado Cilantro Dressing.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Seasonal, Vegan Option
- Cuisine: Healthy, Seasonal