These Fresh Lemon Bars are a refreshing summer dessert. They have a shortbread crust topped with a light, sweet-tart custard that’s deliciously creamy.
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/8 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw honey (softened if solid)
- 1/3 cup ghee or coconut oil, room temp
- 1 large pastured egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, from 1 organic lemon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8” baking dish with parchment paper on the bottom and up the sides.
- For the Crust: In a small bowl mix together the coconut flour, tapioca flour and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the honey, ghee, egg, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Stir in flour mixture until well combined.
- Press crust evenly into the bottom of the parchment paper. Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly brown around the edges.
- While the crust bakes prepare the filling. You’re going to pour it into the hot crust so make sure it’s ready.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, eggs and yolk until evenly combined.
- Add tapioca and coconut flour. Whisk until very smooth.
- Once the crust is done, whisk the filling mixture one more time and pour over HOT crust (don’t let the crust cool).
- Put into the oven, lower the temperature to 325 degrees F and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center is just set but jiggly.
- Allow the pan to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the pan by picking up the sides of the parchment.
- Transfer to a plate, cut into 9 squares using a long serrated knife.
- Serve topped with fruit, coconut whipped cream, or enjoy plain.
They need at least 2 hours to chill.
Recipe adapted from paleorunningmama.com
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Nut Free, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Dairy Free option