These beautiful soft and buttery linzer cookies made with almond flour are an impressive holiday treat but totally gluten free, dairy free and paleo.
- 6 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted (84 grams)
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour (280 grams)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (33 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 pastured egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2–3/4 cup raspberry seedless jam (or other flavor)
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar or paleo powdered sugar
Paleo Powdered Sugar
- Melt coconut oil in a small pan and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, maple syrup, coconut oil, almond extract, vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Mix until the dough comes together. Form it into 2 balls.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 30 minutes to prevent sticking when rolling.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the first ball of dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper about 1/4 inch thick. Chill in freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer, use linzer cookie cutters (see notes above for cookie cutters) to cut half with a cut out in the center and half with full centers (read tips for making the dough).
- Place onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Re-roll any dough scraps that remain. Put the rolled dough into the freezer for 5 minutes before making the cut outs.
- Repeat with the second ball of dough to make cookie cut outs with all of the dough, half with a cut out in the center and half with full centers.
- Once your baking sheet is full, place the baking sheet into the freezer for 5 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes until lightly brown around the edges.
- Let cool. Once the baked cookies are cool, separate the full cookies from the ones with the cut outs.
- Dust the only the cookies with cut outs with powdered sugar using a fine mesh strainer.
- Spread 1-2 teaspoons of jam on the full cookies and place the cookies with the cut out on top to form a cute little Linzer cookie sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Store loosely covered with foil on a plate or in the refrigerator if storing for more than 2 days. They will get soggy if you store them in an air tight container
Paleo Powdered Sugar
Start blending on low speed and gradually increase to high.
Blend for 30-60 seconds, or until your mixture obtains a fluffy, powdery consistency (like powdered sugar).
Let the mixture settle in your blender for 15 seconds before removing the top!
- Sift through a fine strainer to dust your linzer cookies.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
Keywords: linzer cookies, gluten free linzer cookies, healthy linzer cookies