A tasty, aromatic tomato sauce made with grilled tomatoes, blended and simmered until thick, seasoned with fresh basil.
- 5–6 plum tomatoes, about 1½ pounds, cut in half*
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil,
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (a few shakes)
- Celtic sea salt and fresh pepper
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- Preheat the grill on medium high.
- Once it’s hot, oil the grill.
- Place the tomatoes onto the grill, cut side down.
- Grill about 2 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Turn over and grill until tomatoes are tender and lightly charred, about 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer tomatoes to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a 10″ sauté pan.
- Add garlic, sauté on medium-low heat 1-2 minutes until garlic is softened.
- Pour in the pureed tomatoes and sprinkle with red pepper flakes and salt.
- Simmer on medium-low/low until sauce is thickened 10-15 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.* Turn off the heat.
- Stir in basil.
Plum tomatoes or San Marzano tomatoes work best since they are less watery If you have medium size round tomatoes they will be fine. You may have to simmer the sauce longer for it to thicken.
Add a pinch of coconut sugar if you want more sweetness.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Grill, Blend
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Whole30
Keywords: fresh tomato sauce, grilled tomato sauce