This robust and flavorful Hearty Chili is super simple to make and full of spice. Choose the paleo version with chicken or the vegan one with beans. They’re both full of the protein you need for just about every body function.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small/medium or 1 extra large white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 yellow, red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 chipotle pepper (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups cooked kidney beans, rinsed & drained (vegan option)
1 1/4 cups cooked black beans, rinsed & drained (vegan option)
or 2 ½ cups cooked chicken or turkey shredded (paleo option)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I buy tomato paste in a tube, it lasts longer)
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ avocado cut into chunks (optional for garnish)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion, pepper, mushrooms, jalapeno and chipotle (if using).
- Cook the vegetables, stirring every minute or so, for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and clear.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and crushed red pepper. Stir for a minute to combine everything.
- Add diced tomatoes and their juice and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add chicken or beans, tomato paste, and water or stock.
- Bring the chili to a boil, then lower it to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer, stirring frequently for 20 minutes, or until it’s thick.
- Remove chipotle, don’t let it break apart or the chili will get hot spicy.
- Add cilantro and lime juice. Taste to adjust salt.
- Serve with avocado chunks (optional).
Nutrition information is with chicken. With beans, the protein is 8.9 grams and the fiber is 9.4 grams
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Healthy, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
Keywords: chili, vegan chili, chicken chili