- 3/4 cup chopped honey roasted almonds, divided (recipe below)
- 1 cup paleo flour, divided
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup organic butter, chilled and cut into 1” cubes (8 ounces, 1 stick)
- 1 large pastured egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup roasted salted almonds (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam or other thick jam
Honey Roasted Almonds
Making the Dough
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheets with parchment
- In a food processor pulse together 1/4 cup honey roasted almonds and ¼ cup paleo flour until the nuts are coarsely ground
- Pulse in the remaining 3/4 cup paleo flour, tapioca flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
- Pulse in the egg, vanilla and zest.
- Continue to pulse until the dough is well combined and starts to clump (but doesn’t form a ball).
- Working with 1 tablespoon of dough, using a cookie scoop or tablespoon measure, form the mixture into 1” balls and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
Creating the Cookies
- Put the egg white in a shallow bowl, the beat it lightly with a fork until frothy.
- Put the remaining 1/2 cup honey roasted almonds and the 1/4 cup salted almonds on a cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Put them into separate shallow bowl.
- Dunk each ball of dough first in the egg whites then in the nuts, rolling to coat the balls well.
- Using your thumbs, press an indentation in the center of each round of dough. Place the balls on the baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Using a 1/2 teaspoon measure, fill the indentation with jam.
- Bake until the edges of the cookies are just golden, 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Honey Roasted Almonds
- Spread almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in a cold oven.
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees F. Roast almonds, stirring occasionally, until light tan and fragrant, 12 to 15 minutes. The nuts will continue to cook after removing from oven.
- Stir honey, water, and avocado oil together in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add almonds; cook and stir until almonds have absorbed all the liquid, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, mix sugar and salt together in a small bowl; sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of the sugar/salt mixture into a large bowl.
- Transfer coated almonds to the large bowl. Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture over almonds; toss to coat evenly.
- Spread almonds onto parchment paper to cool completely. Store at room temperature in a tightly covered container.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Refined Sugar Free
Keywords: almond thumbprint cookies