In this Indian Vegetable Stew, vegetables and chickpeas or chicken are coated in a velvety sauce made with tomatoes, coconut milk and Indian spices.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks (paleo) or 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas drained and rinsed (vegan)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 large shallot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1” piece of fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1–15 ounce can organic diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons gluten free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cashews (optional)*
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons curry powder or Madras curry powder (I use 1 tablespoon of each)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 cup turnips, cut into chunks
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower, cut into medium florets
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, cut into medium cubes
- 2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Celtic sea salt
- Cilantro for garnish
- Cut chicken into chunks, season with salt and pepper.
- Cut sweet potatoes, turnips, cauiflower and zucchini. Set aside
- In a large soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium, add chicken and saute until lightly brown, 5-8 minutes, it doesn’t have to be cooked through). Remove from pot and set aside. Skip this step if using chickpeas.
- Saute onion in remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on medium/low, for 5 minutes until soft.
- Make the sauce: In a blender add the garlic, ginger, tomato sauce, coconut milk, cashews (if using), water, curry powder, turmeric and garam masala. Blend until smooth. Don’t bother to taste it at this point, the flavors will be sharp but will mellow once cooked.
- Pour the sauce into the pot along with the turnips and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, turn down and low simmer for 10 minutes, until sweet potatoes are beginning to get soft. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Add chicken or chickpeas. Simmer until sweet potatoes are almost done 5 minutes more.
- Add cauliflower and zucchini. Let cook 3-5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Rinse the peas in hot water to defrost.
- Add peas and spinach to stew. Simmer 1 minute. Turn off the heat.
- Taste for seasoning, you may want to add more curry powder or salt, different curry powders have different tastes.
- Serve topped with cilantro.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for a month.
You don’t have to use all the varieties of vegetables. The recipe can be made with just cauliflower, sweet potatoes and spinach. Do what is easy for you.
The cashews add extra protein and make the sauce a little more rich but they are optional. Leave them out if you’re nut free. The sauce is a little lighter without them.
Nutrition information is with chicken and cashews.
One serving with chickpeas has 17 grams of protein and 16 grams of fiber!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Main Dish, Lunch, Stew
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut Free Option
Keywords: Indian stew, vegetable stew, Indian vegetable stew with coconut milk