This Moroccan Vegetable Tagine will satisfy your tastebuds and soothe your body and soul. It’s a wholesome, healthy comfort food dinner that’s packed with flavor.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin*
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander*
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust for your own taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- ½ cup shallots sliced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups sweet potatoes or carrots, peeled and cut into ¾” cubes
- 1 cup white turnips, peeled and cut into ¾” cubes
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (organic)
- ½ cup green olives pitted and sliced
- 1 can (15 ounce) organic canned white beans rinsed and drained VEGAN
- 1 ½ cup shredded cooked chicken PALEO
- ¼ cup currants or raisins
- 2 cups firmly packed kale or Swiss chard, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Put the cumin and coriander in a small bowl and mix with the turmeric, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, black pepper and sea salt.
- Heat a large cast iron pan or deep skillet. Add the oil, shallots and garlic. Cook on medium-low until the shallots begin to get soft about 3-4 minutes.
- Add spices, cook for 30 seconds, until they become fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and stir to coat the shallots.
- Add stock, potatoes or carrots, turnips and lemon zest. Cover and simmer 10 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the olives, raisins, chicken or beans. Simmer for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and liquid is slightly reduced.
- Add the kale or Swiss chard. Simmer until greens are tender 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice. Stir. Cover and remove from the heat.
- Let sit for a few minutes to allow flavors to develop. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
- Serve in bowls alone or with cauliflower rice.
Best to use whole seeds and grind them with a mortar and pestle if possible so as to retain the most flavor and nutrients.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Paleo Options, Vegan Option, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Grain-free, Whole30
Keywords: vegetable tagine, main dish, gluten-free