This is a hearty soup filled with chunky bits of browned mushrooms and silky baby spinach.
- 6 tablespoons ghee, grass fed butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ pounds mixed mushrooms (such as cremini, oyster, chanterelles and shiitake), chopped, ( 8 cups)
- ½ pound shallots, finely diced (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- Heat 3 tablespoons ghee, butter or oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add half the mushrooms and half the shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are well browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl and repeat with remaining ghee, mushrooms and shallots.
- Return all mushrooms to the pot and stir in tomato paste, thyme, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and allspice; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in 5 cups water, the salt and the black pepper. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat and cook gently for 20 minutes.
- Stir in baby spinach and let cook until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or food processor, coarsely purée soup. Thin with water, as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, add more salt if necessary.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern, Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegan,