An easy healthy scone recipe great for breakfast, afternoon tea or dessert.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour (224 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 extra large pastured egg
- lemon zest, from one organic lemon, about 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup currants (60 grams)
- 4 Tablespoons paleo powdered sugar* or organic powdered sugar
- 1–2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor pulse together almond flour, baking soda, coconut sugar and sea salt.
- Pulse in egg, and lemon zest until the dough begins to come together.
- Add currants and pulse to combine.
- Transfer the dough to the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Pat dough into a 6″ large circle, it will be ¾ – 1 inch thick.
- Cut dough into 6 triangle wedges, like a pizza.
- Using a spatula, separate the wedges placing them 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350° for 12-16 minutes until edges are browned. Don’t over bake!
- Serve warm or top with lemon icing, either way is good.
- Store the scones loosely covered at room temperature for one day, or wrap tightly and freeze them after cooling to keep longer. Enjoy!
Lemon Glaze (Optional)
- While scones are cooling on the baking sheet, make the glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until a smooth drizzle forms.
- Drizzle it over the warm scones (after partially cooling) and let cool to harden.
How to make paleo powdered sugar:
- Add 1/2 cup paleo friendly sugar of choice (maple sugar, coconut sugar or date sugar) to a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until it has a powder-like texture, 2-3 minutes.
- If you’d like it more ‘powder-like’, add 1/2 tablespoon tapioca starch or arrowroot starch to the blender at the beginning. This really helps to get it to be similar to regular powdered sugar.
- Store left over sugar in a jar for another use.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Afternoon Tea
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian
Keywords: paleo scones, currant scones, paleo currant scones