Everyone will love these are tender, sweet, buttery cookies with a creamy lemon filling in the middle. Easy to make and sooo…good.
- 2 1/4 cups blanched almond flour (225 grams)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot (60 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup ghee (56 grams) ) at room temperature, or palm shortening (48 grams) (for completely dairy free, or butter vegan or grass fed butter,
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or maple sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large pastured egg at room temperature
Lemon Cream Filling:
- In a medium bowl mix together the almond flour, tapioca, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the ghee (or butter or shortening) with the coconut sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Mix for 2 minutes. Until it begins to get smooth. It may still be a little granular, that’s okay.
- Add the lemon zest and the egg and beat until smooth and fluffy 45 seconds.
- Add the flour mixture and using the mixer, mix until sticky cookie dough forms, it will be thick. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 1 1/2 hours, or up to 12.
- Once the dough is chilled, preheat your oven to 350° F and line 2 large baking sheets. Roll the dough into 20-gram balls (about 2 teaspoon) and place on the prepared parchment with at least 2 inches between them. You should get 24 balls, 12 on each sheet.
- Use a flat measuring cup or glass and a small (4”) square of parchment to flatten each ball. Put the parchment onto the ball and use the cup to press down and flatten into 2” circles (about 1/4” thick). There should be about 1 ½” between them. They will not spread.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until set and beginning to turn golden brown. Remove and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Lemon Cream Filling
- While the cookies cool, make the cream filling. With an electric hand mixer in a large bowl, beat together the shortening or butter with the organic powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, vanilla, and turmeric.
- If the filling is too thick to spread, add a few more teaspoons of nut milk or water until it’s the right consistency. It should be thick, but creamy enough to spread on the cookies.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon on the flat part (bottom) of half of the cookies, then sandwich with a second cookie. Eat and enjoy.
- Store leftover cookies covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
Keywords: lemon sandwich cookies, paleo lemon sandwich cookies, lemon cream sandwich cookies, paleo lemon cookies