An easy version of ratatouille with a concentrated roasted flavor and velvety texture along with a garlicky kick.
- 2 cups eggplant, peeled, cut into 1” chunks (1 small)
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cored seeded and sliced
- 4 cups Roma or plum tomatoes cut into large chunks
- 4 cups zucchini cut into 1/2” chunks (2-3)
- 1 medium onion cut in half and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh basil cut into ribbons
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- On one rimmed baking sheet toss together the eggplant, peppers, 3 tablespoons olive oil,
3 thyme sprigs, 1 rosemary sprig, 2 cloves garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt.*
- Place into the oven on the top rack and roast for 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir. Cook for 30 minutes more until eggplant is tender. Turn the vegetables every 15 minutes to brown evenly.
- On a second rimmed baking sheet toss together the onion slices, zucchini, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 thyme sprigs, 1 rosemary sprig, 2 cloves garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Place into the oven on the bottom rack and roast for 30-35 minutes until zucchini is tender and lightly brown. Stir the vegetables every 15 minutes to brown evenly.
- Remove from the oven, mix the zucchini and onions with the eggplant, tomatoes and peppers. Add vinegar and toss.
- Roast for an additional 20 minutes turning once to prevent burning. The vegetables are done when tender and browned and the tomatoes are juicy.
- Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle with basil and toss. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
To make it easier, you can put all the vegetables on one rimmed baking sheet very close together, slightly piled up. Stir frequently to get even cooking.
Top with 4 oz soft, fresh goat cheese 5 minutes before the vegetables are done to warm the cheese.
Add 1/2 cup green or black olives 5 minutes before the vegetables are done.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Category: Vegetable
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegan