A creamy curry that’s hearty and healthy. It’s an easy one pan comfort food meal with spiced chickpeas, butternut squash, greens and coconut milk. There is a paleo option.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- Celtic sea salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained*
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 3–4 baby bella or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced (about ¾ cup)
- 1 cup organic canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups spinach, kale or Swiss chard torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup cilantro garnish (optional)
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Prep all the veggies.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Season with salt and cook 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent and starts to brown a little.
- Add chick peas and stir frequently until the chick peas begin to sizzle.
- Add curry powder, turmeric and black pepper. Stir to coat the chickpeas.
- Remove about 1 cup of chickpeas and set aside for garnish.
- Add butternut squash, mushrooms and carrot. Stir to coat with spices.
- Add the tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Add coconut milk. Simmer covered on low heat for 15-20 minutes, until the butternut squash is tender. Stirring regularly.
- Add spinach or other greens.
- Cook, while stirring, until the spinach is wilted.
- Divide among bowls and top with reserved chickpeas, cilantro and lime wedges to squeeze on top.
- Serve alone or with rice or cauliflower rice.
If you want the curry to be a little thinner, add more coconut milk or vegetable stock. You may need it when reheating leftovers.
*For paleo version omit, chickpeas and add 2 cups cooked diced turkey or chicken breast along with the spinach.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Paleo Option
Keywords: chickpea curry, coconut milk, turmeric