- 1 cup masoor dhal (red lentils) or moong dhal (split mung beans) preferable soaked
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 1/2 cups water
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 2 curry leaves (optional)
- ½ medium red onion sliced
- 1–2 green chilies, sliced (Serrano chiles are good)
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 tomato chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Rinse the lentils.
- Heat water and lentils along with the turmeric. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook until just cooked, 30-45 minutes. Skim off and discard any foam that rises.
- Add coconut milk.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat oil in a saute pan until shimmering.
- Add mustard seeds, once they start to pop add the cumin and fenugreek seeds and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add sliced onions, curry leaves (if using), green chilies and salt.
- Sauté for 5 minutes on low heat until the onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes (if using) and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add cooked onions and spices to cooked lentils.
- Mix all together, add lime juice.
- Taste to adjust salt. Enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Sri Lankan