This Thai Pumpkin Soup has a ton of flavor without being too spicy. The recipe comes together in 30 minutes and there’s hardly any chopping.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shallots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Mae Ploy Red Curry Paste or 1-2 tablespoons Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste (vegan)
- 2 cups chicken bone broth or vegetable broth
- 1” x 1/2″ inch piece of lemon peel or lemon grass*
- 1–15 oz can organic pumpkin (BPA free-can) or 2 cups fresh roasted pumpkin
- 3/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1–13 oz can pure coconut milk , divided
- 3 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- pumpkin seeds for garnish
- In a medium pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onions and shallots, cook 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and red curry paste, stir to combine and sauté 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add broth, lemon peel, pumpkin and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes to develop flavors.
- Add coconut milk (save 1/4 cup for garnish)
- Turn off the heat, remove lemon peel.
- Pour soup into a blender along with pumpkin seeds and lime juice, blend until smooth.
- Return soup to the pot and heat until warm. Taste to adjust salt.
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro, a drizzle of coconut milk and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
*If you can find it, lemon grass is even better than the lemon peel. Use the tender part, the bottom 5 or 6 inches, smash it with a mallet, or even the bottom of a wine bottle or small pot to release the aromatic oils, then toss it in the pot to simmer.
Nutrition information is with chicken broth.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup, Breakfast, Side Dish
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Seasonal
Keywords: pumpkin, soup, fall soup