This is a simple version of the classic restaurant style Chinese soup with lots of extra vegetables. The taste is tangy, spicy and incredibly delicious.
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1” ginger, grated
- 6 cups chicken bone broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional, leave out for vegetarian)
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 ½ cups napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 6 ounces chicken breasts cut into cubes or 1 cup firm tofu (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free tamari or ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot
- 3 pastured eggs, beaten in a small bowl and set aside
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, more for garnish
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped, more for garnish
- Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium-low heat and add oil.
- Add onions and mushrooms and cook until the onions and mushrooms have softened 5-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, cook 1 minute.
- Add broth and fish sauce. Turn heat up to high.
- Add carrots and cauliflower. Bring to a boil.
- Add broccoli, cabbage, zucchini and chicken if using.
- Simmer 3-4 minutes until vegetables are just cooked through.
- In a small bowl whisk together arrowroot and tamari or coconut aminos. Add to soup while stirring. Simmer 30 seconds.
- Add the beaten eggs to the boiling pot, stirring to create ribbons. Cook about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add vinegar, white pepper and tofu if using.
- Add scallions, cilantro, saving a few for garnish.
- Taste to adjust seasoning and serve immediately with additional scallions and cilantro as garnish.
Nutrition information is with chicken and chicken bone broth.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Carb
Keywords: hot and sour soup, vegetable hot and sour soup, nourishing soup, healthy soup