- 8 oz piece of tempeh
- 3 tablespoons wheat free tamari
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- Slice tempeh into ¼ – ½ inch slices horizontally.
- Steam for 10-15 minutes (optional).
- In a flat bowl or plate combine the tamari, water and garlic. Mix to combine.
- Add tempeh to the marinade, turn to coat each piece.
- Let sit at least 5 minutes or up to 1 hour, turning occasionally. Most of the liquid will be absorbed.
- Heat a cast iron pan on medium. Add coconut oil or ghee.
- Add tempeh.
- Cook tempeh on medium for 2-4 minutes per side until they’re nicely brown.
- Pour in any extra marinade. Sauté 1 minute more.
- Serve with vegetables or on salads.
The tempeh will keep in the refrigerator for a few days.
Steaming tempeh allows it to accept more flavors of the marinade. It also makes the tempeh more tender.