Fresh sweet corn blended with lite coconut milk, vegetables and spices make this a rich and creamy vegan chowder.
- 1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1½ cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn, husked
- 1 red pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 14-oz can lite coconut milk
- Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Fresh corn kernels and chopped parsley for garnish
- Stand one ear of corn up over a shallow bowl. Slice kernels off the corn. Repeat with the remaining ears of corn. Save a few kernels for garnish.
- Heat the coconut oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and celery and a few pinches of salt.
- Cook until soft, about 5 minutes without browning
- Add garlic. Mix and sauté 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower, corn, red pepper, celery seed, smoked paprika, a pinch of salt, black pepper and stir.
- Cook until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently,
- Add the vinegar, stir.
- Add vegetable broth and coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer on low until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly,
- Pour half the soup into a blender. If there are any large pieces of cauliflower be sure to include them.
- Blend until creamy and pour it back into the pot and stir.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve garnished with corn kernels and parsley.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Seasonal, Vegan, Paleo