Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder is one of my favorite summertime recipes. The fresh sweet corn blended with lite coconut milk, vegetables and spices make this soup super healthy and also rich and creamy. Enjoy it now while corn is in season.
We are staying home today watching the storm. Hermine is even closer to the coast today. At our house it is super windy with lots of flooding. Yesterday we were at the beach to see the waves. It is powerful and magnificent.
This is the perfect day to make soup. I am happy to have fresh corn from the farmers market on hand. I am making one of my favorite soups, Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder. The sweetness of the fresh corn makes this soup incredibly delicious. It doesn’t work as well with frozen corn.
This season we eat corn multiple times a week. I’m always looking for more ways to use it and this corn chowder is one of the best ways to put it to good use!
It has everything you’d want in a corn chowder and is super healthy. It’s nothing fancy, just tasty homestyle comfort food at its best!
Chowder is usually made with heavy cream but this version has no dairy. Blending half the corn makes it creamy and then I add in lite coconut milk to make it even creamier. The smoked paprika gives it a rich flavor.
Most corn chowders use potatoes but I prefer cauliflower to give it body. It keeps the glycemic level down.
Sweet red peppers add color and a rich flavor to the soup.
Summer means getting some of the best food of the year while all the fresh produce is in season. Truly this soup is irresistible and can be enjoyed all summer long!
Photo’s updated July 2020.
If you like this recipe or find it useful, please click on the stars below and give it a rating. It helps me get more notice from Google.
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.Print
Fresh sweet corn blended with lite coconut milk, vegetables and spices make this a rich and creamy vegan chowder.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh sweet corn, from 4-5 ears, plus 1/4 cup for garnish
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ cups cauliflower florets
- 1 red pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (if you’re not vegan)
- 1 14-oz can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- To cut the corn: stand one ear of corn up over a bowl. Use a sharp knife to slice kernels off. Repeat with the remaining ears of corn. Set aside ½ cup to garnish the soup at the end.
- Heat the coconut oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and celery and a few pinches of salt.
- Cook until soft, about 5 minutes without browning
- Add garlic. Mix and sauté 1 minute.
- Add celery seed and smoked paprika.
- Add the cauliflower, 2 1/2 cups corn, red pepper, a pinch of salt, black pepper and stir.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk and vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Pour half the soup into a blender (about 3 cups). Blend until creamy and pour it back to the pot and stir.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Taste and adjust salt and serve garnished with raw corn and parsley.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Seasonal, Vegan, Paleo