Fresh sweet corn blended with lite coconut milk, vegetables and spices make this a rich and creamy vegan corn chowder. Enjoy it now while the corn is in season.
We are staying home today watching the storm. Hermine is even closer to the coast today. At our house it is super windy with lots of flooding. Yesterday we were at the beach to see the waves. It is powerful and magnificent.
This is the perfect day to make soup. I am happy to have fresh corn from the farmers market on hand. I am making one of my favorite soups, Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder. The sweetness of the fresh corn makes this soup incredibly delicious. It doesn’t work as well with frozen corn.
Chowder is usually made with heavy cream but this version has no dairy. Blending half the corn makes it creamy and then I add in lite coconut milk to make it even creamier. The smoked paprika gives it a rich flavor.
Most corn chowders use potatoes but I prefer cauliflower to give it body. It keeps the glycemic level down.
Enjoy the recipe, even if you are not stuck inside from the storm.
If you like this recipe or find it useful, please click on the stars below and give it a rating. It helps me get more notice from Google.
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.Print
Fresh sweet corn blended with lite coconut milk, vegetables and spices make this a rich and creamy vegan chowder.
- 1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1½ cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn, husked
- 1 red pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 14-oz can lite coconut milk
- Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Fresh corn kernels and chopped parsley for garnish
- Stand one ear of corn up over a shallow bowl. Slice kernels off the corn. Repeat with the remaining ears of corn. Save a few kernels for garnish.
- Heat the coconut oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and celery and a few pinches of salt.
- Cook until soft, about 5 minutes without browning
- Add garlic. Mix and sauté 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower, corn, red pepper, celery seed, smoked paprika, a pinch of salt, black pepper and stir.
- Cook until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently,
- Add the vinegar, stir.
- Add vegetable broth and coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer on low until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly,
- Pour half the soup into a blender. If there are any large pieces of cauliflower be sure to include them.
- Blend until creamy and pour it back into the pot and stir.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve garnished with corn kernels and parsley.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Seasonal, Vegan, Paleo