In this delicious summery sheet pan dinner, chicken thighs are seasoned with garlic and herbs and roasted with tender chunks of zucchini and cherry tomatoes that caramelize as they cook. The fresh basil sprinkled on just before serving enhances the summer tastes. This meal is gluten free, paleo and incredibly simple.
I’m always looking for simple meals that taste great. Since I have lots of tomatoes and zucchini in my garden I decided to mix it together with chicken all in one pan.
Some days, especially if it’s raining you may not want to be standing outside grilling your meal. Or maybe you don’t have access to an outdoor grill. This dish is a super summer meal that’s made in your oven. The fragrant fresh basil makes it incredibly summery.
Even though basil is the predominant flavor, I created a simple sauce of garlic, oregano, coriander, red pepper flakes and olive oil which adds a savory and deep flavor to the mix. The coriander add another dimension to the taste but it’s optional.
It’s best to find zucchini that are small and thin. The zucchini are cut into chunks that caramelize in the oven’s heat. If your zucchini are medium sized cut them in half lengthwise and then slice into 1 inch pieces.
To help with the browning don’t turn the zucchini while cooking. Let the chicken and zucchini roast undisturbed to turn a golden brown.
Adding cherry tomatoes the last 5-10 minutes of cooking makes the dish nice and juicy. They add a fresh and lively sweetness that mingles with the chicken and zucchini and goes really well with the basil.
Cut the cherry tomatoes in half to create more juice.
Cook the chicken and zucchini for 25-30 minutes until lightly brown and almost cooked. Then add the cherry tomatoes and cook 5-10 minutes more until everything is nicely caramelized.
Since this dish must be cooked in a single layer in one pan there is just enough to feed two to three people. It’s an easy recipe to double but you’ll have to cook it on 2 sheet pans.
The timing in your oven may vary. Roast until everything is nicely brown and caramelized.
At the end sprinkle with a little aged balsamic vinegar to bring up the flavors .
Serve topped with lots of fresh basil. It’s also nice with some rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa to sop up the delicious pan juices.
Enjoy the recipe it’s easy, summery, full of protein and vegetables, light, fresh and delicious.
If you like this recipe you may also enjoy these other summer dishes:
Recipe adapted from Melissa Clark.Print
In this easy summery sheet pan dinner chicken thighs are seasoned with garlic and herbs and roasted with tender chunks of zucchini and cherry tomatoes that caramelize as they cook, topped with fresh basil.
- 1 ¾ pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Celtic sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 6 small zucchini)*
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely grated on a microplane or minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar, more to taste
- ½ cup coarsely chopped or torn fresh basil leaves, for serving
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season all over with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place zucchini on a rimmed sheet pan and season with a little more salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, oregano, coriander (if using), and red-pepper flakes. Whisk in oil.
- Add chicken to the pan with the zucchini pieces and pour garlic mixture over all, tossing until well coated.
- Spread chicken and zucchini in a single layer, and roast for 25-30 minutes until lightly brown and almost cooked. You don’t need to turn anything.
- Add cherry tomatoes and raise the temperature to 450 degrees.
- Roast until chicken is cooked through, zucchini is browned and caramelized and tomatoes are juicy, 5-10 minutes more.
- Once the pan is out of the oven, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and top with half the basil. Taste to adjust salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Serve garnished with remaining basil.
If your zucchini are medium sized cut them in half lengthwise and then slice into 1 inch pieces.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Whole 30
Keywords: sheet pan chicken, one pan chicken