Tender, moist, and sweet cupcakes that are gluten free, nut free, refined sugar free, dairy free & egg free!
- 90 grams (3/4 cup) tigernut flour
- 32 grams (1/4 cup) cassava flour
- 28 grams (1/4 cup) coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (45 grams) or maple sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin*
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line cupcake pan with 6 cupcake liners.
- In large bowl mix tigernut flour, cassava flour, coconut flour, coconut or maple sugar, sea salt, baking soda and gelatin. Stir to combine.
- Mix in lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the olive oil, unsweetened applesauce, vanilla, coconut milk and lemon juice until well combined.
- Add to the flour mixture and mix until combined. The batter consistency will be thick
- Fill each cupcake liner to the top, dividing the batter evenly.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool a few minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the shortening and coconut oil until smooth and fluffy. Add maple syrup and beat on low until combined, then add tapioca, vanilla and sea salt and beat until creamy.
- Frost cupcakes immediately, OR store frosting in the refrigerator until ready to use. Frosting will harden in the fridge, but you can let it sit for 5 minutes at room temp, then re-beat before frosting the cupcakes.
- Frost cupcakes using a piping bag or with rubber spatula. Garnish with lemon zest if desired.
- Store leftover cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Let sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
For vegan use a flax egg. To make a flax egg, mix one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with 2 1/2 tablespoons of water. Mix together, and let sit in for 15 minutes to set up and thicken.
The recipe can be doubled to make 12 cupcakes.
If you don’t want to make the icing the cupcakes are delicious plain.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Paleo, Nut Free, AIP, Egg Free, Gluten Free, Grain Free,Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free
Keywords: aip, paleo, lemon olive oil cupcakes, paleo lemon olive oil cupcakes, lemon cupcakes with olive oil, paleo cupcakes, aip cupcakes, aip desserts, grain-free baking, dairy-free desserts, gluten-free desserts, olive oil cupcakes, lemon cupcakes, vanilla frosting