This mouthwatering Thai Squash Curry is fast, easy and super satisfying. It has lots of vegetables and can be made vegan or paleo!
- 2 cups delicata squash cut into 1/2 ” slices or leftover roasted delicata squash (kabocha or butternut is also good)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (for paleo)
- 1–15 ounce can chickpeas (for vegan)
- Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion chopped medium
- 1–2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 ½ cups or 1–13.5 ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, cut into ½ moons
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional for extra heat)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce use coconut aminos or gluten free tamari for vegan
- Celtic sea salt to taste
- Roast the Squash: (Skip this step if you have leftover roasted squash.) Cut squash into
1/4 to 1/2-inch slices, keeping the size of the slices consistent. Coat both sides of each slice with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread onto a parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Place in preheated oven and roast for 15 minutes. Flip each slice over and roast for another 10-15 minutes or until brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken into ½” by 1 ½” pieces or medium-sized chunks and season with salt and pepper
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat until hot. Add the coconut oil. When the oil is hot add the chicken and sauté until brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a separate plate. (skip this step for vegan)
- Add the onions to the same sauté pan and sauté on medium low until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken back into the pan with the onions and add the curry paste. Stir to coat the chicken with the curry paste.
- For Vegan: Add chickpeas instead of the chicken.
- Saute until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add broccoli, carrots and red pepper flakes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and mix.
- Raise the heat to high and bring the coconut milk to a boil. Then, turn down to medium-low and simmer the curry for 5 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Add the roasted delicata squash and stir gently to combine.
- Simmer 2 minutes until warm.
- Sprinkle with fish sauce or tamari. Taste and adjust salt as needed. Serve alone or with cauliflower rice.
Nutrition information is with the chicken.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Vegetable Dish
- Cuisine: Thai, Paleo, Vegan Option, Gluten-Free, Whole30
Keywords: squash curry