Cilantro is often found in Mexican food like salsa and guacamole and in Indian chutneys and Thai salads. If you are questioning what it is, you’ve probably already eaten it without knowing. This herb has a taste that either you love or hate. If you don’t like it at first try again as it has a taste that grows on you.
The chemical compound in cilantro actually binds to the heavy metals, loosening them from the tissues, blood and organs. Cilantro then helps transport these harmful substances out of the body through your poop.
I highly recommend you take advantage of this “poor man’s chelation treatment” to remove those heavy metals from your body. All it takes is adding a small quantity of cilantro to your diet daily, for two or three weeks. You can add a handful of fresh cilantro to a salad, juice it, mix a couple of teaspoons of cilantro pesto (recipe below) with grilled vegetables or have it with your favorite fish. The active components in cilantro are fragile, and processing by heat will destroy the chelating agents. It is therefore recommended that it be eaten raw, to get the most out of this remarkable herb.
Cilantro also has other benefits to our body and scientist are discovering more every day.
- Improves digestion The oils in cilantro help our digestive system produce digestive enzymes and stimulate digestion through peristaltic motion. It also help reduce digestive gas.
- Controls Cholesterol Cilantro has been show to lower the LDL “bad” cholesterol and raise the HDL “good” cholesterol.
- High In Antioxidants to help prevent cancer and prevents premature aging It provides many vitamins and minerals including iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium.
- Anti-inflammatory can help arthritis suffers Cilantro contains two specific compounds known as cineole and linoleic acid that both possess anti-arthritic and anti-rheumatic properties.
- Kills harmful bacteria – The essential oils of cilantro are considered to have antifungal and antibacterial properties and may help kill Salmonella. Cilantro also contains a substance known as dodecenal that is twice as powerful as the antibiotic drug gentamicin at fighting infection and eradicating harmful microbes from the body.
- High in Vitamin K In fact it is a highest source of the vitamin than any other herb. Vitamin K is important for bone health and healthy blood clotting.