Green lemonade is a delicious summer beverage. It’s like receiving an intravenous infusion of vitamins, minerals and enzymes. You’ll feel energized and happy.
As I prepare for the Nourishing Foods Summer Cleanse I’ve re-discovered the phenomenal benefits of juicing. I like to tune into the energy of the season as I create the menus, recipes and processes for each cleanse.
In Traditional Chinese medicine summertime is:
- A time of activity and energy
- A time for growth, expansion, light, abundance
- A time to add cooling properties, clear heat, reduce toxins and help to generate body fluids
- Associated with the small intestine the primary organ supporting digestion, assimilation, and elimination
Fortunately the abundance of summer fruits and vegetables provide everything we need to support our body. It’s the perfect time to indulge in salads, which are full of raw vegetables, very cooling and hydrating to the body.
When it is hot you need extra hydration. You also need nutrients to keep up with the many activities of summer such as swimming, tennis, kayaking, dancing and outdoor parties.
Instead of eating barbecued burgers or chicken, which are heavy and hard to digest why not, fill your body with a drink teeming with micronutrients your body can easily absorb? That drink is green juice.
My favorite drink this time of year is Green Lemonade
Green juice is like receiving an intravenous infusion of vitamins, minerals and enzymes because they go straight into your system without having to be broken down.
In today’s blog I will tell you all the benefits of juicing, give you my Green Lemonade recipe and How to Juice Anything.
Phenomenal Benefits of Green Juice
Juicing helps you absorb all the nutrients from the vegetables. They are already broken down to be immediately absorbed into your blood stream.
Juicing allows you to consume lots of vegetables quickly and easily. For optimal health it’s best to have six to nine servings of vegetables and fruits a day, with juicing you are guaranteed to reach your target
Allows you to add in a wider variety of vegetables you may not normally enjoy eating whole. You get a number of different phytochemicals in your diet, as each vegetable offers unique benefits.
Promotes Weight loss by improving your digestion and getting more nutrients into the cells to perform their job efficiently.
Boost your immune system by supercharging it with phytochemicals and antioxidants
Increase your energy. Green juice is highly alkaline and full of nutrients which reduces acids in your system. When your body has a balanced pH it is energized. Green juice gives a “boost of energy” immediately without caffeine.
Focus on GREEN vegetables not fruits.
The bulk of your juice should come from organic, green veggies – cucumber, spinach, celery, kale, Swiss chard, etc. – not fruits, which are too high in sugar. A little bit of apple, beet, carrots, lemons, limes or tomatoes for sweetness is good.
But I don’t have a juicer…
While making green juice is easier in a juicer you can make it in a blender using a nut milk bag or cheese cloth. Watch the video Making Vegetable Juice in a Blender.
It’s best to drink fresh vegetable juice on an empty stomach so the nutrients go right into your cells with all their enzymes and life force.
Green lemonade is my favorite but variations are also fun
8 stalks organic celery
1 organic cucumber
2 large leaves of kale or any dark greens; chard, collards, spinach
1 organic apple (green or Fuji), chopped
1 whole organic lemon, cut into quarters (if not organic peel or cut off the skin)
- Put all vegetables through the juicer
- Drink immediately.
- Any left over can be put into a glass jar with an airtight lid. Fill it to the very top. There should be a minimum amount of air in the jar as the oxygen in air (air is about 20 percent oxygen) will “oxidize” and begin to break down the nutrients of the juice.
If you want to use whatever produce is in your refrigerator follow these guidelines:
- Start with milder greens – cucumbers, romaine, celery as the foundation
- Don’t use too many of the dark greens like arugula, kale, broccoli, parsley as this will make the juice too strong and unpleasant to drink
- Add some sweet vegetables or low sugar fruits – carrots, apples, lemons, limes, beets, tomatoes
- Spice it up with ginger, hot peppers
- Experiment and enjoy
Start juicing today and if it feels right for you join the Nourishing Foods Summer Cleanse. Before long your friends with notice the change and ask
“What have you been doing? You look amazing”
Hope to see you on the cleanse….
Love and Hugs