This Tangy Italian Potato Salad is a light, refreshing version of summer’s classic side dish. The dressing is a tangy vinaigrette without any mayo. Serve it with arugula or baby lettuce on the side.
While some people like a mayonnaise dressing on their potato salad others like me, prefer a lighter dressing.
The dressing in this Italian Potato Salad is a classic vinaigrette enhanced with Dijon mustard, capers, garlic, red onion, and a few chopped anchovies. The anchovies are optional, if you’re vegan or don’t like their flavor, leave them out. I include lots of fresh parsley and a few thyme leaves. It’s a really simple dish.
Some people are afraid to eat potatoes because of the carbs. But potato salad is a healthy dish. When potatoes are boiled, then left to cool down, they form a firm texture. Some of the carbs transform into a resistant starch.
Resistant starch is a prebiotic. It contains a type of fiber able to survive all the way to the colon. When they arrive they provide food for the good bacteria, which feed, thrive and proliferate on them.
Feeding these good bacteria helps improve your mood and keeps you satisfied.
Even though cold potatoes have a less dramatic affect on your blood sugar, it’s best to enjoy them alongside a high-quality protein source, like grilled fish or tempeh. The anchovies also provide protein and an incredible umami taste.
There is lots of healthy fat from the olive oil in the dressing. It’s a great way to keep blood sugars stable while eating potatoes which are rich in carbohydrates.
Potatoes are high in fiber and I serve it with arugula or crisp salad greens for additional fiber to keep hunger hormones happy and managed.
There’s lots of Vitamin B6 in potatoes which is involved in creating brain chemicals, including serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine, so you stay in a good mood.
The potassium in potatoes provide electrolytes our bodies need to keep balanced pH and blood pressure levels.
The key to making a successful potato salad is using your hands to mix in the dressing. It enables you to coat the potatoes with the dressing while preventing them from breaking apart.
This summer enjoy this simple, flavorful, tangy, potato salad. Not only is it utterly delicious, but it will feed your microbiome, allowing you to feel satisfied and happier too!
“To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.” ~Buddha
If you like this recipe try these other delicious summer salads:
French Style Summer Potato Salad with Fresh Corn
Kale and Romaine Caesar Salad with Potato Croutons
Alkalizing Watermelon and Watercress SaladPrint
Tangy Italian Potato Salad
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
This Italian Potato Salad is a light, refreshing take on summer’s classic side dish. The dressing is a tangy vinaigrette, without any mayo.
- 2 pounds medium yellow potatoes, like Yukon Gold
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- Celtic sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped anchovy (about 4 anchovy fillets)*
- 1 tablespoon small capers
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Arugula for serving
- Fill a large pot with well salted water and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and simmer until potatoes are firm but easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.*
- Remove from pot and let cool on a plate.
- While the potatoes are cooking make the dressing: In a small bowl, add the red onion, vinegar and a large pinch of salt. Stir together and let sit for 10 minutes so onion marinates and mellows.
- Add garlic, anchovy, capers and mustard.
- Whisk in the olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to touch, peel off the skin with a paring knife.
- Carefully slice the potatoes approximately 1/4-inch thick.
- Put the sliced potatoes into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the potatoes.
- Using your hands gently mix the potatoes to coat evenly with the dressing. Be careful not to break them apart. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to absorb the dressing. Taste to adjust salt and pepper.
- Just before serving add the parsley and thyme and gently mix again.
- Serve with arugula or baby lettuce.
If your potatoes are different sizes add the larger ones first and cook for 5 minutes then add the smaller ones.
For vegan leave out anchovies.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Whole30
Keywords: potato salad, potato salad with vinaigrette,