This is a soup with a fresh tomato broth and many vegetables available only time of year. Basil sprigs are added to the broth for additional flavor. Make up a big batch and freeze some for later eating when summer has gone.
Summer Vegetable Soup
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan, Paleo PRINT RECIPE
2 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped (from 2 large tomatoes)
2 Tb olive oil
1 cup chopped leeks, thinly sliced, white part only (about 2 leeks)
1 Tb minced garlic
¼ – ½ Celtic sea salt
1 cup carrots, diced
1½ cups string beans, cut into 1” pieces
1 cup zucchini, diced
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 whole sprigs fresh basil
1 ½ cups fresh corn, cut off of the cob (about 2 ears)
¼ cup chopped parsley
basil for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Make an X on the bottom of the 2 tomatoes and put them the boiling water for one minute. Pick them out with tongs plunge them into a bowl of cold water. Lift them back out, and peel back the skin with a knife. It will slip off easily. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over low heat.
- Add leeks, garlic and salt. Sauté on low until they begin to soften, about 7 minutes.
- Add carrots, string beans and zucchini. Sauté on medium-low for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock and whole basil sprigs. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add tomatoes and corn. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered until vegetables are tender about 25 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Remove basil sprigs, discard.
- Season with fresh pepper and salt to taste. Add parsley.
- Serve garnished with basil