Imagine a pancake that is light, fluffy, easy to make and full of enough high quality protein and fat to keep you satisfied all morning. These pancakes are made in a blender with no grains, no sweeteners and lots of healthy protein. The avocado gives them a light, silky texture and there is a little bit of coconut flour to bind them together.
There are only a few ingredients; avocado, eggs, coconut flour and vanilla. I use blueberries but they can be made with other fruits like bananas or strawberries. If you make them plain, without fruit, they can be packed up and taken with you for lunch later in the day.
The protein comes from the eggs. Get the highest quality eggs you can find. The fresher the better. Pasture raised eggs are even easier for our body to digest. I use to have egg sensitivities. I would eat eggs and crave sugar. This indicated a mild inflammatory response. Recently I discovered if I buy fresh pasture raised eggs from the farmers market I don’t have any reaction. Isn’t that fascinating, the quality of the eggs makes a difference to my body.
Serving them with maple syrup is fabulous but they are sweet and delicious without it too.
Besides all the great nutrition from these pancakes, they taste amazing. They are so easy you will make them often. This recipe was adapted from The Whole Journey.
Easy to make light fluffy high protein pancakes.
- 8 large fresh pastured eggs
- 1 medium Hass avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2–3 tablespoon coconut oil for greasing the pan
- 1 cup blueberries
- Put eggs, avocado, coconut flour and vanilla into a blender.
- Blend until almost smooth scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula. If you have a high speed blender like a Vitamix blend only a few seconds,. Don’t let the batter get hot
- Add 1 tablespoon water and blend again for a few seconds.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over a medium-low heat. Lightly grease with a small amount of coconut oil.
- When the pan is hot drop a few tablespoons of the batter onto the pan. The batter will be very thick. Spread it out a little with your rubber spatula so it isn’t too thick. The pancakes will end up being around 3-4” round.
- Sprinkle each pancake with 4 or 5 blueberries. Using a spatula gently press them into the pancake.
- When the pancakes are set, about 4 minutes, flip and cook on the other side.
- Once both sides are golden and pancake is cooked through, remove from the pan.
- Keep warm on a plate covered with foil while cooking the rest.
- Serve alone or with maple syrup. They are sweet even without the syrup.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Paleo, Dairy Free, Gluten Free,
Enjoy the recipe. Please leave a comment below, let me know how you like these rather different pancakes.