In this salad the bitter greens (kale and romaine) are balanced by the nourishing sweet taste of a pumpkin seed and tahini dressing. The fresh sweet corn makes this salad divine. These super healthy ingredients alkalize your body and reduce inflammation.
The creamy, crunchy taste of this summer salad makes it a satisfying lunch or dinner. The pumpkin seed dressing is protein-rich and has a sweet cheesy taste. The nutrients in deep green kale give your body energy. I use corn here in place of the traditional croutons, making it gluten free.
The raw pumpkin seeds I use in the dressing are the most alkaline-forming of all seeds. They help reduce acids that tend to build up in our body. This very special quality helps reduce inflammation. The only other seed that has this unique quality are hemp seeds.
Their high zinc content makes them a natural protector against osteoporosis, since zinc deficiencies can lead to higher rates of osteoporosis. Zinc is also good for men’s prostate.
Pumpkin seeds are a great source of magnesium, a nutrient that promotes a healthy heart and good sleep. It’s a mineral most people need more of in their diet.
One quarter cup of pumpkin seeds gives you 16% of your daily iron needs. That same ¼ cup will also get you 5 grams of fiber, which is more than most nuts. In addition, pumpkin seeds are a good source of amino acids, protein, and omega-3s. What a great food!
In this recipe I use raw corn. Midsummer corn is so tender, crisp, and sweet that the best way to eat it is raw. Yes, you can eat corn raw and it tastes fabulous. For some people it’s even easier to digest in the raw state. When you cook corn it becomes starchy which can make it harder to digest.
Sweet corn is loaded with lutein and zeaxanthin, two phytochemicals that promote healthy vision. The insoluble fiber in fresh corn feeds good bacteria in your gut, which aids in digestion and helps keep you regular.
Romaine and kale have an enormous amount of nutrition. Romaine is especially good because it contains protein and all 9 essential amino acids.
This salad makes a perfect summer lunch or dinner. It yields 2 entree size portions or 4 side salads. You can top it with grilled salmon or chicken for additional protein.
If you like this recipe or find it useful, I would love for you to give it a rating. Just click on the stars below.
Would you like to have more delicious recipes that support good digestion, balanced hormones and stable blood sugar sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter with recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.Print
- 4 cups romaine hearts, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 cups baby kale, finely chopped
- 1 cup raw corn (about 2 ears)
- Nasturtium flowers for garnish (optional)
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds, soaked overnight for easier digestion
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 -2/3 cup water
- In a bowl toss romaine and baby kale.
- Cut kernels off the cob with a knife; To cut the kernels off the cob without making a mess it is best to cut them right into the bowl, so the kernels don’t get all over the counter. Stand the corn cob in the bowl and cut off the kernels right into the salad.
- Prepare the dressing: Place raw pumpkin seeds, tahini, oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and 1/3 cup water into a blender with the pumpkin seeds on the bottom (it makes it easier to blend).
- Pulse on low a few times, then blend on high 1 minute until smooth. Add more water if necessary to get a pourable consistency.
- Toss the salad with enough dressing to coat the greens and corn. Serve the extra dressing on the side.
- If you want to eat the salad over 2 days, store dressing separately from the greens in the refrigerator.
Top with grilled salmon, chicken, or turkey for extra protein.
Nutrition information is for 1 entree size serving.
- Category: Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free