This rich Chocolate Pumpkin Tart is full of decadent chocolate, creamy pumpkin, warm spices with just the right amount of sweetness. It tastes so good you won’t believe its a gluten free, vegan, paleo dessert. Easy to make, no baking required and your whole family will love it.
I don’t like to eat too many nuts so I made this chocolate pumpkin tart with coconut oil, pumpkin, raw cacao and maple syrup. The only nuts are in the crust.
The filling is rich and creamy. It’s an almost raw dessert. The only thing cooked is the pumpkin. I use canned pumpkin.
What Makes This Chocolate Pumpkin Tart Healthy
Even though it tastes incredible this Chocolate Pumpkin Tart is gluten free, diary-free, refined sugar free, vegan and paleo.
It’s made with coconut oil which contains antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
Coconut oil contains Medium Chain Triglicerides which quickly burn as fuel. MCTs provide a rapid energy source that your body can absorb and use faster than other types of saturated fat.
Coconut oil also contain lauric acid. It’s a substance found only in breast milk and coconut. Detailed studies have shown that lauric acid is transported directly to the liver where it is converted to energy and other metabolites rather than being stored as fat.
Pumpkin is high in vitamins, minerals and fiber. It’s also a great source of beta-carotene, a carotenoid that your body converts into vitamin A.
Raw cacao is one of the highest dietary sources of magnesium. Magnesium is important for a healthy heart and helps your brain focus. Raw cacao has more antioxidants than blueberries.
Raw cacao is also a mood elevator. It’s a great source of the feel good chemicals – serotonin and tryptophan, neurotransmitters that are associated with feelings of wellbeing and happiness.
The chocolate walnut crust is simple to make. Walnuts are processed in a food processor until chopped. Dates, cacao powder and pumpkin pie spices are added and processed until it is sticky. Then pressed into an 8 inch tart pan.
I made 2 of these tarts and brought 1 to a party. Everyone loved it. I didn’t tell them it was a healthy dessert until it was all gone…they couldn’t believe it.
If you like this recipe, try these other delicious pumpkin desserts:
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.
This rich Chocolate Pumpkin Tart is full of decadent chocolate and creamy pumpkin spices with just the right amount of sweetness.
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts (143 grams)
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, (90 grams) coarsely chopped (5–6 Medjool dates)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch Celtic sea salt
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (195 grams)
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, (109 grams) gently melted (use expeller pressed refined for less coconut taste)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Process the nuts, in a food processor until they are very fine.
- Add the dates, cacao powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Process until it is sticky with medium texture.
- Press into an 8-inch tart pan. The easiest way is to do the sides first and work toward the middle.
- Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- Put all the filling ingredients (pumpkin, raw cacao, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice) into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving.
- To garnish, dust with cacao powder sprinkled through a very fine strainer. Sprinkle with salt if using.
Serve chilled. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month
The cooking time indicated is actually chilling time.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Paleo
- Method: Process
- Cuisine: American, Healthy
Keywords: pumpkin tart, chocolate pumpkin tart