Even though Labor Day is over and we may feel a little melancholy about summer’s end there is no reason to give up the warm weather pleasures of cooking outside. I keep my gas grill going until it is too cold and windy to stand out there turning the vegetables, usually until late November.
Today’s recipe is sliced zucchini marinated in an easy to make Parsley Garlic Sauce. The sauce has a very strong garlic flavor initially but once grilled it mellows to a savory smooth taste.
The recipe makes enough for 2 batches. It can be used on any vegetable, chicken or firm fish.
Grill the zucchini until lightly brown on each side. Keep a spray bottle nearby to tame any flames that my shoot up from the oil in the marinade.
Yes, you could cook the zucchini inside in a cast iron pan but if you have a grill fire it up again and again until it it too cold to go outside to cook.
Grilled Zucchini with Garlic and Parsley
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan, Paleo PRINT RECIPE
1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
6 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp crushed red pepper
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 medium zucchini sliced 1/8″ lengthwise ( I used a mandoline)
Celtic sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Put the parsley, garlic, crushed red pepper and half the olive oil into the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until it is a thick puree.
- Slowly pour in the rest of the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise, making sure the slices are the same thickness, about 1/8”. A mandolin makes it easier but you don’t want them too be too thin.
- Place the sliced zucchini onto a large plate and spoon in enough marinade to lightly cover the slices on both sides.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Make sure your grill is very clean. You can oil your grill but if you use it regularly and it is well seasoned you don’t really need to.
- Place the zucchini on grill. Have a spray bottle handy to spray on any flames that shoot up from the oil in the marinade.
- After about 4-5 minutes, check for light grill marks and turn over. Cook until the zucchini start to soften with the outside lightly charred and browned.
- Season with salt and ground pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.