Miso, maple and sesame add a nutty umami taste to this dish of buttery roasted carrots that’s delicious warm or at room temperature. It turns everyday carrots into an impressive vegetable. Incredibly simple to make, a little sweet, a little salty and aromatic.
Carrots can be pretty boring but not with these delicious flavors. In this recipe the carrots are parboiled briefly then glazed with a sauce of salty, umami miso, sweet maple syrup, nutty sesame seeds and a little butter, then roasted to perfection. The result is carrots that are tender on the inside with a crispy, nutty caramelized glaze! It’s a dish you’ll love for your holiday but simple enough to have regularly.
Ingredients for Miso Roasted Carrots
- Carrots – bunched carrots with their tops intact are always fresher than the ones in a plastic bag. They may even be nice enough to cook without peeling. The bagged ones need to be peeled.
- White Miso – white miso has a delicately sweet, savory, salty umami flavor.
- Grass Fed Butter – butter mixed with miso makes a nice creamy, salty glaze. Ghee or coconut oil can be substituted.
- Toasted Sesame Oil – has intensely toasty, nutty aroma and flavor.
- Maple Syrup – provides just the right amount of sweetness to the miso, sesame glaze.
- Lemon and Lemon Zest – to balance out the sweetness.
- Sesame Seeds – toasted sesame seeds add a nice nutty crunch.
- Scallions – thinly sliced for garnish.
- Salt and Pepper
Tips for Making Miso Roasted Carrots
Get the freshest carrots you can find. If the skin looks good and not too dirty, scrub them, if not peel them.
When cutting the carrots aim to make them as close to the same size as possible. Cut the carrots in half lengthwise and then cut into 3-4 inch lengths. If the carrots are thick cut them into quarters. If the carrot is thin on one end don’t cut that part in half lengthwise, leave it whole.
Parboil the carrots for 3-4 minutes. They should be crisp tender. Don’t overcook, they are still going to be roasted.
Coat the carrots thoroughly with the miso butter sauce and spread in an even layer in your pan. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
Roast until golden brown and sizzling.
This is a colorful and flavorful vegetable to brighten up your holiday feast. It’s a quick side dish that lets you enjoy the full splendor of this simple vegetable. Your guests will love the nutty, sweet, salty, umami flavor.
If you like this recipe, you may also like these other colorful side dishes :
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.Print
Miso, maple and sesame add a nutty umami taste to this dish of buttery roasted carrots that’s delicious warm or at room temperature.
- 2 pounds medium carrots, preferably bunched, peel if necessary
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened*
- 1/4 cup white or yellow miso
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Sea salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Peel (if necessary) and trim carrots. Halve carrots lengthwise and cut into 3 – 4-inch lengths.*
- Add to the boiling water and simmer over medium heat until almost tender, but still firm 5-6 minutes. Drain the carrots.
- While the carrots are cooking, in a large bowl, combine butter, miso, sesame oil, lemon zest and lemon juice, and stir well to make a soft paste.
- Add the carrots and mix to coat. Line a 12-by-16-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment for easy clean up. Transfer the carrots to the baking sheet and spread in an even layer.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake until the carrots are golden brown and sizzling, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with scallions, flaky sea salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Vegetable, Side Dish
- Method: Parboil, Roast
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Egg Free
Keywords: roasted carrots, miso roasted carrots, holiday side dish