I love sweets. Yes I admit it. I choose sweet treats with healthy ingredients to satisfy my sweet tooth and keep my body in balance. For me, eating sweets are part of ENJOYING LIFE but they don’t have to hijack my health.
These Dark Chocolate Covered Pomegranates are AMAZING. When you bite into them you get a burst of tart/sweet juice from the pomegranate mixing with the chocolate creating a taste sensation. Everyone will love them.
This recipe is made with healthy chocolate. There has been quite a bit of news on the health benefits of chocolate but not all chocolate is created equally, many have lots of sugar and other ingredients. There are good brands out there but they are usually made with sugar and can be pricey. This homemade version made with pure raw cacao powder, cacao butter and coconut oil is smooth and delicious. Organic homemade chocolate is also a good source of magnesium and is healthy in moderation.
Pomegranates contain a compound called punicalagin which is shown to benefit the heart and blood vessels. It not only lowers cholesterol but also lowers blood pressure and increases the speed at which heart blockages (atherosclerosis) melt away. They have additional health benefits unrivaled by other foods. Read my blog post about them here. There is also a description on how to open a pomegranate.
What better way to enjoy this super food than with chocolate?
Mini baking cups work perfectly as chocolate molds. You can peel them off once the candies become solid.
After you make the chocolate, put the baking cups on a plate, tray or muffin tin and fill with the pomegranate seeds. I fill them about 1/2 way but you can do less if you like more chocolate.
Pour the chocolate liquid into the mini cups filled with the pomegranate seeds. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Store them in the refrigerator for up to a week, but they won’t last long once everyone gets a taste of the gooey juicy goodness of these fantastic candies. Don’t eat too many. Is four too many? Not for me!
I’m putting little boxes of these homemade pomegranate covered chocolates in my gift baskets for friends and also serving them as healthy treats at my son’s house for the holiday celebration.
Enjoy the recipe and please leave a comment below and a rating. I love getting feedback.Print
These Dark Chocolate Covered Pomegranates are AMAZING. When you bite into the chocolate you get a burst of sweet/tart juice from the pomegranate to create a taste sensation.
- Weigh or measure the cacao butter. It is more accurate if you weigh it. If you measure it, chop it into fine pieces first.
- Melt cocoa butter over medium heat, in a double boiler or bowl on top of a small pan with an inch of water (make sure water isn’t touching bowl).
- When cacao butter is melted, whisk in the coconut oil and honey until melted.
- Remove from the heat. Add cacao powder and vanilla. Mix until well incorporated and smooth. Make sure that no water gets in to the chocolate as it can cause the texture to get mealy!
- Set 20 mini paper baking cups on a plate or tray.
- Fill the mini baking cups with pomegranate seeds about 1/3-1/2 full.
- Pour the chocolate liquid over the pomegranate seeds.
- Put in refrigerator for 1 hour or until chocolate becomes solid.
- Peel off the paper cups and enjoy.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: Seasonal, Gluten Free, Paleo, Healthy, Dairy Free, Raw