This Paleo Mushroom Chicken dish is incredibly tasty and easy to make in under 30 minutes. Juicy chicken is sautéed in one pan with tender mushrooms and a savory umami sauce. It’s AIP, gluten free, dairy free, Whole30, and low carb.
This meal is made completely in one pan in less than 30 minutes. Boneless chicken breasts are transformed into a super satisfying and flavorful meal.
The ingredients for this dish are simple and can be found in your supermarket.
The sauce is made with cremini mushrooms but white button mushrooms would taste good too! Shiitake mushrooms would make it a bit more exotic.
Since there is NO COCONUT OR DAIRY CREAM IN THIS SAUCE, the rich umami flavor of the mushrooms shines through.
I love using boneless chicken breasts for this recipe rather than thighs. I find they have a lighter fresher taste. But you have to be careful not to overcook them. Thighs can be used but need to cook a few minutes longer.
When buying chicken, look for the Certified Humane Raised and Handled logo. It assures that animals are never kept in cages, crates, or tie stalls.
I recommend slicing the breasts in half horizontally to make thin slices that cook quickly and evenly. You can buy thin sliced chicken breast to make it easier.
The chicken is seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper, then sautéed for 3-4 minutes on each side. Once cooked, remove them from the pan onto a plate while you make the sauce.
The Mushroom Sauce
I use lots of mushroom in this dish. They taste like a vegetable but they are actually a type of beneficial fungus that provides many important vitamins, minerals and enzymes.
- They are a great source of B vitamins, trace minerals, fiber and protein.
- Mushrooms contain a powerful antioxidant called ergothioneine that helps lower inflammation.
- They have the natural ability to fight dangerous bacteria and viruses and help boost immunity.
The mushrooms, onions and garlic are sauteed in the same pan you cooked the chicken.
Once the mushrooms are cooked, sprinkle with a little arrowroot and add chicken broth to make the sauce.
Simmer the sauce for about 3 minutes, then add the chicken back in. Squeeze in a little lemon juice to brighten up the flavors. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Tip: When you add the broth to the skillet, be sure to scrape up any browned bits of chicken and mushrooms from the bottom of the pan. There is lots of flavor there!
What To Serve with Paleo Mushroom Chicken
I serve the chicken with a simple steamed vegetable seasoned with thyme. You can also serve it with with cauliflower rice or sautéed zucchini noodles.
Roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes would be good if you’re not eating a low carb diet.
This is a simple, light and super healthy dish with a rich umami flavor. No boring chicken here! An easy yet exciting dish that’s ready in under 30 minutes.
If you like this dish, try these other easy one pan chicken recipes:
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
This Paleo Mushroom Chicken dish is incredibly tasty and easy to make. Juicy chicken is sautéed in one pan with tender mushrooms and a savory, umami sauce. It’s AIP, gluten free, dairy free, Whole30, and low carb.
- 3 Tablespoons ghee or olive oil divided
- 1 1/3 – 1 1/2 pounds humanely raised boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Celtic sea salt and black pepper
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced*
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot flour or tapioca
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Celtic sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Minced parsley for garnish
- Cut chicken breasts in halves the horizontal way to make 4 thinner chicken cutlets. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Combine garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and thyme in a small bowl. Season the chicken with the spice mixture on both sides.
- In a large saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes to brown, then flip and cook on the other side until browned and no longer pink, 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from the pan to a plate and set aside. Cut in half crosswise to make 8 pieces.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the onions and sauté for about 3-4 minutes, until soft and fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for an additional 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Stir in the garlic and sauté 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the arrowroot or tapioca and stir, cooking for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the broth stirring well to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring, and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice to the saute pan and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper to preference.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and cook another 1-2 minutes to heat through.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with your favorite steamed vegetable, or sautéed cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles or roasted potatoes. Enjoy!
- Leftover chicken breasts will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Reheat in a pan until warmed through.
White button mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms would also be good.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with cremini mushrooms and 1 ½ pounds of chicken for 4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, AIP, Keto, Whole30
Keywords: mushroom chicken, paleo mushroom chicken, one pan chicken, easy recipe, healthy recipe