This is a comforting chicken dinner your whole family will love. Juicy seasoned chicken is sautéed in one skillet with a creamy cashew sauce and spinach. It’s done in under 30 minutes, perfect for a weeknight. It’s paleo, gluten free, dairy free, keto, and an AIP option.
This dish is super comforting because it contains lots of protein, healthy fats and vegetables.
The cream sauce is made with cashews and stock. It’s sweet and delicious.
Cashews contain mood-stabilizing vitamins: B6, magnesium, niacin, and even tryptophan. B6 helps convert the tryptophan into serotonin and helps magnesium enter into the body’s cells. It’s the synergy of these nutrients that helps with anxiety and elevates your mood. Cashews are also high in zinc, which is associated with the regulation of GABA and has an anti-anxiety effect.
The cashew sauce is made by blending 2 tablespoons of cashews with 1 1/2 cups chicken broth. I like to soak the cashews in boiling water for 15 minutes but if you have a high speed blender soaking is optional.
The recipe is easy to make and doesn’t have too many ingredients. It’s chicken breast, spinach, onions, garlic, cashews, stock and spices. The best part is it’s made in one pan so there’s not a lot of clean up.
I add a little nutritional yeast to give it a slightly ‘cheesy’ flavor but it’s optional. It also brings in more B vitamins.
I use thinly sliced boneless chicken breasts. Buy thin sliced chicken breasts or slice your breasts in half horizontally. They are light and stay nice and juicy with the spinach and cream sauce. If you prefer chicken thighs can be used but they need to cook longer. Chicken tenders are also good.
Baby spinach can be replaced with baby kale or Swiss chard but may need to cook for an extra few minutes.
Rosemary or oregano can be used in place of thyme for a slightly different flavor.
If you don’t have chicken broth, water will work but it won’t be as flavorful.
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Spinach Chicken
- Healthy: This creamy chicken recipe is loaded with nutrition. It’s dairy free and good for anyone on a keto diet.
- Comforting: The delicious taste, healthy fats and creamy sauce make this a comforting satisfying meal.
- Simple and easy: It’s made with simple ingredients and takes only 30 minutes to prepare, all in one pan.
- Packed with flavor: The flavors of this creamy chicken dish is so good you will probably add it to your weekly dinner menu. Everyone loves it, including my grandson.
If you like this recipe, try these other delicious one pan chicken dishes:
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.Print
Juicy seasoned chicken is sautéed in one skillet with a creamy, cashew sauce and spinach.
- 2 tablespoons cashews**
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced, or chicken tenders*
- Celtic sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee, divided
- 1 1/2 cup chicken bone broth**
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional, for cheesy flavor
- 6 cups packed baby spinach,
- Celtic sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Soak cashews in boiling water for 15-30 minutes.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Chop your onions and garlic, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil or ghee to the skillet, once hot add the chicken in a single layer. Cook about 3-4 minutes per side, or until the outside is nicely browned and inside is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, drain and rinse the cashews. Blend with the stock for 2-3 minutes to make cashew milk.
- Remove chicken to a plate and set aside. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel to remove any burnt pieces.
- Lower the heat and add the remaining oil. Add the onions and cook until translucent,
3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and cook another 45-60 seconds.
- Add the cashew milk and lemon juice. Stir in nutritional yeast if using. Mix well to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the spinach and cook just until it wilts, 1-2 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the cooked chicken back to the skillet and let simmer for one minute to heat through, remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Serve with cauliflower rice if desired.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Keto, Whole30
Keywords: creamy spinach chicken, one pan chicken, paleo chicken, aip chicken, chicken and spinach