This deliciously healthy Greek Chicken is an easy dinner of chicken breasts and vegetables cooked together with oregano, thyme, garlic, red onion, lemon and richly flavored olives. It’s a simple mouthwatering dish you’ll make again and again. Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, and low carb too!
I love creating recipes for dinner that are easy, delicious, satisfying, and healthy. I don’t want to spend a lot of time chopping and cooking at the end of the day. This is one of those recipes. Here I turn plain chicken into a nourishing meal with extraordinary flavors and complex textures.
The juicy chicken is combined with super nutritious cauliflower and kale for a complete meal. Since it’s all made in one skillet the cleanup is a breeze, and the leftovers are delicious too!
Ingredients and Substitutions for One Skillet Greek Chicken
This is an easy Greek Chicken meal made with simple ingredients you can find in your supermarket.
- Boneless chicken breasts, thinly sliced but boneless chicken thighs can be substituted if you prefer. I like the light clean taste of the white meat.
- Garlic granules to flavor the chicken.
- Ghee, avocado oil or olive oil. I like ghee because it’s a healthy fat, good for our digestive system. It’s a great choice for sautéing at higher heat and has a nice buttery flavor.
- Red wine vinegar gives the best flavor. White wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar will also work.
- Red onion
- Fresh oregano and thyme. The fresh herbs give this dish the best flavor but dried ones can be substituted.
- Chicken broth, homemade if available, but any organic brand will be fine. Look for ones without sugar.
- Cauliflower is a healthy cruciferous vegetable with a mild taste. Broccoli can be substituted.
- Baby kale is my go-to choice here. It’s washed and ready to go. Bunched kale can be used, strip away the stems and coarsely chop the leaves.
- Lemon juice and lemon slices for a bright fresh taste.
- Kalamata olives have a rich, smoky, fruity flavor. Any black olive can be substituted but won’t be as flavorful.
Tips for Making One Skillet Greek Chicken
It all starts with the chicken. Boneless chicken breasts are cut in half horizontally to make thin slices. When the breasts are thin they cook quickly and evenly.
Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic granules to give it a nice flavor. Cook for only 3 minutes on each side, just until lightly brown. Don’t overcook the chicken, it will get dry and tough. Once they’re cooked remove from the pan and cut in half on the diagonal.
One of the keys for making this dish flavorful is to use a large red onion and cook it long enough to get soft and caramelized. Get a large union. Cook for 4 minutes then cover, to prevent burning, and cook for 5 minutes.
I recommend fresh oregano and thyme. Remove the stems before adding the kale. You won’t be able to find them otherwise.
It may look like there is too much kale but don’t worry it will cook down in just a few minutes and tastes so good with the sauce.
Sliced lemons look beautiful and give a bright lemony flavor. Don’t cook them too long or they will fall apart.
This is an incredibly delicious, super nutritious one skillet Greek Chicken meal that’s easy enough to make any night of the week! This recipe is sure to become one of your new healthy favorites.
It’s easy to make, incredibly nourishing, extraordinarily flavored and only one pan is needed. Great for leftovers the next day. I’m making it regularly this spring.
If you make this, please leave a review or rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps my business thrive and continue to share these recipes that I love. Thanks, 💛 for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.
If you like this recipe, try these other delicious one pan chicken dishes:
Would you like to have more of these delicious healthy recipes sent to you each week? CLICK TO SIGN UP for my weekly email newsletter of recipes and tips for you to eat well and enjoy your wonderful life.
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting Eat Well Enjoy Life.Print
- 1-pound humanely raised boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts) or thinly sliced chicken breasts
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 Tablespoons ghee*, avocado oil, or olive oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth, homemade, if possible
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups cauliflower, cored, broken into florets, 1 small or ½ large
- 6 cups baby kale or bunched kale leaves, stems removed, coarsely chopped (about 7 ounces)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 slices of lemon
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally to make 4 thin breasts. Skip this step if you bought thin sliced breasts.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts on both sides with the sea salt, black pepper, and garlic granules.
- In a large skillet with a lid heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat and saute the chicken, about 3 minutes on each side until lightly brown. Adjust heat to prevent burning. Remove the pieces to a plate.
- Add the vinegar to the pan and scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan for 10-15 seconds. You don’t have to get them all.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of the olive oil to the pan and turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the onion and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring often and scraping the bottom of the pan, until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low, cover and let the onion cook for another 5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until it is lightly browned and very soft.
- Add the garlic and stir together for a minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add broth, oregano, thyme, and lemon juice.
- Turn up to heat until simmering. Cover, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes to develop the flavors.
- Add in the cauliflower. Stir to coat with the onions and broth. Cook until the cauliflower is beginning to get tender, 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Remove oregano and thyme.
- Add in the kale, olives, and sliced lemons. Cook until kale is tender 3-4 minutes. You may have to add it in batches.
- Cut cooked chicken breasts in half on the diagonal to get 8 pieces. Add to the vegetables. Stir to evenly combine. Cook 1-2 minutes to heat through.
- Taste to adjust salt and add more lemon if desired.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Ghee is not technically dairy free. Use one of the other oils for dairy free.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Chicken
- Method: Saute, Simmer
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Carb, Whole30
Keywords: skillet Greek chicken, easy greek chicken, one pan greek chicken